Well, Fall has really set in here in the Pacific Northwest. The rain this week has really been pushing the limits of our gutters. We have several personal waterfalls all around the house. Sigh… With the cooler, wet temperatures and darker days, I’m happy to bring soup back into my weekly rotation.
This week, I’m kicking off 4 weeks of soups to help warm you up as the temperatures drop.
In the season of pumpkins, I think it’s rather fitting to start us off with this Savory Pumpkin-Apple Soup. I’ve paired a tart granny smith apple with slightly sweet pumpkin puree and savory spices that offer just a little kick. The full fat coconut milk makes this creamy soup dairy-free without an overly coconut-y flavor.
Remember that pumpkin puree from last week? You should do that first. In case you missed it, you can find my simple pumpkin puree directions here.
So, back to this creamy soupy goodness…
Yes, that’s bacon on top. You should definitely add bacon.
I hope to see you back here for the next soup in the line up! Stay warm and dry, my friends!
Savory Pumpkin-Apple Soup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small Granny Smith Apple peeled and diced
- 1 small Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/2 cups Bone Broth
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Sage
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 6 strips Cooked Bacon crumbled
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven, and saute onions, apple and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the bone broth and stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Add the remaining spices and stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. The apples should be soft.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Remove soup from heat, and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender to blend smooth.
- Top with crumbled bacon.
Have you made your own bone broth before? Check out my recipe for Nutrient Dense Bone Broth!