Hey all! Another busy week getting ready for our wedding this coming weekend! Craft projects are getting wrapped up and packed up, final details being pulled together, and the house is getting a much needed deep clean in preparation for my fiance’s family coming from Germany. I’m definitely feeling the stress to get things done and am just a *little* emotional… I may have cried a bit when my fiance accidentally shaved his beard too short…
Earlier in the week, we were able to stop by our tiny farmer’s market to pick up a few things. There was a gluten-free baker there, so naturally we needed a treat, and I was pretty happy to see a new organic farm selling some great looking produce. We took home some kohlrabi, red onions and a big bag of green beans. It will be my first time having kohlrabi! Just have to figure out what I’ll do with it.
I had been dreaming up a recipe for green beans, so when I saw them at the market, they had to come home with us. Not gonna lie, I think I hit the nail on the head with this one. I love the bright citrus flavor paired with the crisp green beans and crunchy toasted almonds.
Citrus Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
- 1 lb Green Beans stems removed
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 cup Avocado Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 1/2 tsp Minced Shallots
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans to the pot and cook for about 6 minutes until the beans are crisp tender.
- Once the green beans are cooked, submerge them into ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain the green beans into a colander and set aside.
- Toast the almonds in a pan over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the almonds and move them around to keep them from burning.
- To make the dressing, add the avocado oil, orange juice, zest, shallots, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk together.
- In a large bowl, toss together the green beans, dressing and half the almonds. Top with the remaining almonds before serving.