Daylight savings is kind of the worse thing ever if you’re a food blogger. Don’t get me wrong, I love that it’s lighter out in the morning, but it gets dark so so early! Ugh. Since I don’t plan on having dinner like it’s the early bird special, I won’t be posting many dinner photos on instagram. Don’t you worry though, I’m still eating. 😉 Ok, enough with the complaining!
So it’s now November and we shift gears to start planning out Thanksgiving dinner. I love hosting, but I didn’t get to do it last year since I was up to my eyeballs in NTP studying. It was a self-preservation thing. I’m so happy to get back to it this year, and already ordered my turkey about a month ago! I’m a planner!
As much as I love that delicious turkey, it’s the sides that I really look forward to. Last year, I shared my Spiced Persimmon & Cranberry Sauce and Honey Mustard Glazed Carrots. They were so tasty and I can’t wait to make them again!
To start out the month, I’m sharing my Loaded Mashed Sweet Potatoes with you! These are so tasty, and beat the heck out those canned yams with marshmallows and brown sugar any day. To tell the truth, I used to love those when I was a kid. Nowadays, the thought of them makes my stomach turn a little.
I baked my sweet potatoes before mashing them. I like that the skin just peels off after baking. Less work for me! Be careful though. They’re hot! You’re welcome to peel and chop up the sweet potatoes, then boil them in water until they’re tender. This will be a little less time for you, which is always a plus when it’s Turkey Day!
Loaded Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- 6 strips Bacon cooked & chopped (about 3/4 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup Green Onions sliced and divided
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Ground Garlic
- Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Rub the outside of the sweet potatoes with olive oil, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 40-50 minutes, until fork tender.
- When sweet potatoes are done, remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully pull the skin off the sweet potatoes and discard. They will still be HOT so please be careful!
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in coconut milk, sea salt, ghee, paprika, ground garlic and black pepper, then fold in 1/2 cup chopped bacon and green onion (reserving 1-2 Tbsp of scallions for topping).
- Top with the remaining bacon and green onions, and serve.