This week we’re covered in snow! I was beginning to think that it wouldn’t arrive this year, but it did. And in a big way, too! With another snow storm or two around the corner, I made sure the house was stocked with plenty of food.
Being more cooped up in the house this week gave me the opportunity to play around in the kitchen again, and create another recipe for you all!
This Grain-Free Chicken & Dumplings come to you with a fun and easy shortcut! The Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi! When this idea popped into my head earlier this week, I knew I had to make it ASAP!
I’m so glad I did, because I’ve been eating off the leftovers for the last few days, and I haven’t grown tired of it yet!
This dish is thickened to almost a gravy-like consistency with the help of the arrowroot starch and the cassava flour in the cauliflower gnocchi. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look quite thick enough halfway through cooking, it will thicken up!
Grain-Free Chicken & Dumplings
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion diced
- 3 Carrots diced
- 3 stocks Celery diced
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- 3 cups Precooked Chicken shredded or chopped
- 4 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 Tbsp Milk (coconut, almond, dairy, etc.)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 1 tsp Sea Salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or more to taste
- 24 oz Frozen Cauliflower Gnocchi (from Trader Joe's)
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions, carrots, and celery in the oil, stirring frequently until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle arrowroot starch over the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Add chicken, bone broth and coconut milk to the pot, then add the seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the frozen gnocchi and increase the heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.